Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Four of 12 - Eileen King


I recently saw a demo of bobbin work and decided to give it a try.  For this piece, I used a background fabric that I had used for Heather's edges class a few years ago.  I cut it down to size and used a gathered ribbon for the surrounding area (the stippling in the background was already there).  Then I cut out three different floral shapes from some scrap felt pieces I had.  The embellishments on each flower and the lines beneath the flowers were done with bobbin work.  The stems and leaves caused a problem in that I didn't have any craft thread to match the tonal green in the background.  I scrounged around and found some cheap, velvet-like fabric that was the right color.  I cut out the stems and leaves, fused them to the piece, did a blanket stitch around them, and then I added a few beads in the small, yellow accent flowers.

The bobbin work itself was a little hard to manage.  Several times the thicker thread in the bobbin would get stuck.  But it all worked out well anyway.  Great way to use up left-overs from a previous class!

No comments:

Post a Comment