Saturday, February 22, 2014

Bead Iterations Week 4 by Laura Shea

Six more basic beads for the sculpture. The seventh bead on the right is a new pattern for this bead.  I am so excited about this new pattern.  Even though I only made one cluster of 3 blue beads, I found that I will be able to make a symmetrically positioned pattern on the opposite side of the polyhedron. Which started me thinking about a different approach to how to look for patterns. Warning math to follow (lol): So I started thinking about the many ways to divide 30 (the total number of beads/edges on the dodecahedron) by 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, and 15. Then considering each number-- how many patterns can I get with each number. What you have been seeing here is me working up to all 30 patterns of 1 as well as throwing in some other patterns to break up the monotony. These 30 patterns of 1 look identical until you fix them in space so that you can see what each of the "roving" single blue bead polyhedra look like next to each other. My plan is to wirework the 30 beads together, but I am not quite sure what the configuration will look like. Not to be too nerdy about it, I will probably go back and reclassify the extra patterns when I have the basic 30 finished and grouped in the sculpture. It may not translate to non-math lovers, and I am thrilled that doing this weekly project has opened a new gateway of focusing on how to  look for edge color patterns on polyhedra.

No comments:

Post a Comment