Sunday, February 23, 2014

Week #5 Prompt: Attempting Dimension, by Heather Thomas


Good Evening All,
Here is my piece for our 5th week.  The topic is "Attempting Dimension".  Use whatever means available to you to add real or implied three dimensionality to this weeks piece of art work.  Unfortunately, the dimension does not show all that well in the photo above.  I began with a piece of silk rayon velvet that I had dyed. I layered it up on top of wool batting, wool felt and backing fabric then I quilted the holy hell out of it.  The red orange, gold and blue/blue violet areas are all that remain showing of the velvet all of the dull brown areas are thread that has been heavily stitched to push those areas down and back and allow the colored areas to rise up above the surface.  
So, your assignment if you are willing, is to use whatever technique you desire to take your art work from two dimensional to three dimensional.  Keep in mind that for something to be three dimensional it must have a top, sides and a bottom and be able to cast a shadow. 

 Here is my piece at a side angle.  Look at all of that dimension!

And here is the back of the piece with all of the brown stitching showing up nicely against the white backing fabric;



1 comment:

  1. What a super cool piece Heather. I love the stitching and the dimension that you were able to achieve. John.

    ReplyDelete